Following the rally we had last week ( the success of which depends on what you call success!!) I am continuing to raise the issue in the public's eye about my concerns about MSES and accountability of funds.  I have tried to precis below what the issue is as I see it.  Perhaps my concern is unjustified, the whole point is, without some sort of accountability, how do we know?  I would really love to hear from Victorian midwives who share my concern about this money and how its being spent and what difference they think MSES is going to make.  When you think of what we could do with $61 million bucks if it was directed toward primary midwifery care and women-centred care - its a crying shame to think it might all get pxx@@## up against the wall and no one ever questions it.  If they're doing good -great.  If they're not, we must expose it.

The Victorian Government, as part of the Maternity Services Enhancement Strategy (MSES) has allocated $61 million to enhance maternity services.
The money is only available to hospitals even though part of the brief is to be expanding women’s choices in models of care and the development of "information" about pregnancy and childbirth.
At a workshop held on the 10th June 1999 by the Department I raised my cynicism about
  1. what incentive did hospitals have to develop choices outside their own perspective of maternity care?
  2. the development of information should be independent and not attached to the provider of services
  3. how is the consumer to know that the money is being spent in accordance with the strategy?
I was told not to worry and that the Reference Group that was being established will act an accountability body to ensure that money is spenT within the terms and spirit of the strategy.

To date, over a year into the strategy and no such group has been convened.  I have written to the minister and the department expressing my concerns and asking when this group will be convened. I have received no response to these questions.

There are some good initiatives coming out of the strategy which I acknowledge. However I have also since heard anecdotally from talking to some midwives working in the units that money has been received by the hospitals but has simply gone to making up the already existing budget deficit from previous years. In other instances I have heard of funds being spent inappropriately (cars; EFM machines) all for antenatal care which is what the first year’s funding was targeting. I have heard too that the department are also concerned and doing some "internal" questioning.

If the Department really wants to know what’s happening they should be conducting confidential interviews with midwives working in the units. Midwives are too fearful for the job security to question their superiors on what is happening or to speak out. However they know exactly what is happening with that money.

The Department must convene that Reference Group which must include consumers and all receivers of funds under the strategy should be accountable to that group.

I will continue to write to the Department and the minister and write letters to all newspapers and would encourage anyone else who could imagine the things we could do with $61 million to improve maternity services in this state, to do the same.

Please contact me for more information - Robin Payne 9380 2863.