Re checking for cord, for several years now I haven't been checking for cord
and slip over or unravel as the baby is born and have certainly not had any
trouble.  A colleague of mine I was talking to last night said she never cut
the cord because she witnessed on one occasion when they cut the cord which
was around the neck only to find that it was the cord of the second twin who
subsequently died.  It makes you shiver a bit doesn't it.  In some ways you
are getting back in to the argument of hands off or hands on!