> >YOU SHOULD THANK THE LORD YOU DID NOT HAVE ANY COMPLICATIONS SUCH AS A
> >SHOULDER DYSTOCIA OR A HAEMORAGE ... WOMEN HAVE REWPONSIBILITY TO THE
> UNBORN
> >CHILD TO ENSURE THAT THE SERVICES OF MODERN MEDICAL SKILLS AND TECHNOLOGY
> >ARE AVAILABLE IF NEEDED.
> >
> >THE INSURANCE PREMIUMS PAID BT DOCTORS ENGAGED IN OBSTETRICS ARE SO HIGH
> >BECAUSE THE ELEMENT OF RISK IS SUCH THAT IF THERE IS ANY SUGGESTION OF
> >SUBSTANDARD SERVICE COURTS WILL AWARD PUNITIVE DAMAGES.
> >
> >IF MIDWIVES WANT TO PRACTISE IN THE MODERN WORLD THEY SHOULD DO MEDICINE
,
> >BECOME DOCTORS AND TRAIN AS OBSTETRECIANS.
> >
> >THIS IS 2001 NOT 1701.

Dear Senator Eggleston,

I would like to suggest that you review statistics before you make such
inflammatory statements. Have you seen any statistics which show that
hospital is a safer place to have a baby that at home. If you have seen
this I would be interested as the evidence that I have seen is contrary
to this.

Would you like to see women giving birth at home without the care of a
fully qualified and experience midwife? The National Health & Medical
Reasearch Council have produce a pamplet titled "Homebirth Guidelines
for Parent" which states that "The NHMRC recognises the right of women
to choose a homebirth and believes that women making this choice should
have access to a high standard of service and a team of appropriately
trained helth professionals....The NHMRC believes that the practitioner
for a homebirth should be a registered midwife or medical practitioner."

Your well thought through comments have been widely distributed.

Yours sincely
Sally Westbury
Midwif.