Hi
I hate to spoil the fun but it is not possible to compare the costs of homebirth and hospitals. They are two different models -  it's like comparing the costs of apples and cherries. Perhaps some whiz bang economists such as the ones from access economics could do it.

I don't think we should go down this path. It is the quality of the models and the outcomes long and short term that we should be looking at not costs. Anyway there seems to very little difference.   What 'they' save on hospitalisation is usually spent on the labour associated  with the close one to one relationship midwives and women develop.  If we talk too much about comparable costs some bright spark will assume the models are the same only one is midwife and one doctor led. If that happens we are in real danger of being accused of over servicing ie some community midwives offer women 10 (may be more) antenatal consults lasting over an hour when the average doc gives about five of 20 minutes each!! Yet, the birth outcomes are similar.  A doctor is only present for the birth and we are often there for 24 hours! Is that overservicing? Yeah I know the docs have hospital midwives but these people are in the place anyway so don't cost any more. When early discharge came in we all thought that hospital costs would drop - they didn't cause they used the beds for other things. Birth centres and homebirth projects account for about 5% of births but hospitals haven't reduced the number of docs or midwives in the main hospitals or the beds. In fact even though hospital births have decreased by say 5% hospital costs have increased!

I don't think the funding people have the ability or desire to think outside the square yet. Anyway they don't care that midwife-led models gives women a real sense of satisfaction not to mention an experience that is orchestrated by her or that breast feeding rates and duration are longer.  What drives funding bodies is things like APGAR scores, technologies  and mortality rates not what women and their families think about birthing or the benefit of full breast feeding for twelve months on child and adolescent health. You can't cost these!
Carol