This is a great reference.  Thanks for passing it on Bec.
Joy

-----Original Message-----
From:   Clinical Learning Coordinator [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Friday, October 19, 2001 10:39 AM
To:     '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject:        Admission CTG's

Dear List

There was a question posed a few weeks ago about routine admission CTG's and
their effects. I've been trying to dig up the article on this and now I have
it so I hope it is not too late for the midwife who was after the
information. It is:
Mires, G., Williams, F. & Howie, P. (2001), "Randomised controlled trial of
Cardiotocography versus Doppler auscultation of fetal heart at admission in
labour in low risk obstetric population", BMJ, 322: 1457-1462.
The conclusion states:
"There were no significant differences in the incidence of metabolic
acidosis or any other measure of neonatal outcome among women who remained
at low risk when they were admitted in labour. However, compared with women
who received doppler auscultation, women who had admission CTG were
significantly more likely to have continuous fetal heart rate monitoring in
labour, augmentation of labour, epidural analgesia, and operative delivery.
Compared with doppler auscultation of the fetal heart, admission CTG does
not benefit neonatal outcomes in low risk women. It's use results in
increased obstetric intervention, including operative delivery." (p1457)

Hope this is of some benefit.

Cheers
Bec

Clinical Learning Coordinators