Hi all,
just thought I would update you re speakers for the midwives support picnic
and rally in Geelong October 28th

Confirmed speakers include:
Dr Peter Lucas
Vanessa Owen  - (ACMI)
Scott Kinnear - Vic Greens Lead Senate candidate
Michael Bjork Billings - ALP federal candidate for Corangamite

Both Senator Bob Brown and Joan Kirner have sent their apologies as both
have prior engagements and are therefore unable to attend on the day.
Please note that we are yet to receive confirmations from two speakers
invited to attend, these include Dr Carmen Lawrence (unlikely to attend due
to closeness to the federal election) and Vicki Chan.

Hopefully by the end of this week I will be able to put on the list our
completed poster for your reference and would really appreciate anyone who
is able to, copying it and putting it out there !!

We are also having live music and have just had confirmed that "The Stiff
Gins" are going to do a special appearance for the day.

Re lobbying pollies, this is what the rally is all about.  However, I would
urge you all to note that whilst it is good to lobby, the crucial question,
particularly when dealing with the minor parties is  " Are you prepared to
discuss a preference negotiation on this issue".  That is, 'do you have
this on your list'.  As major parties are desperate for preferences to get
over the line, they typically do preference deals at election time.

Basically, if it is not on the preference agenda then it is political
bureacratic whitewash.  You can have all the support in the world from the
minor parties (who do count when it comes to elections - the tighter the
better !)  but if it is not on their preference list (typically there are
three or more issues discussed in these situations) then the support being
pledged is in reality and political terms, very superficial.

Whilst I cannot put a certain negotiation on the ozmid list at the moment,
I will be able to annouce in a couple of weeks whether this has taken
place, and I hope to be able to bring you good news on that front.  In the
meantime, pressure all pollies to get community midwifery programs actually
on the political preferencing agenda.

Kind Regards
Sally-Anne Brown
Mother, Doula and
Convenor, The Greens - Otways Branch.

----------
> From: Denise Hynd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; ozmidwifery list (E-mail)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Political Action is Imperative NOW!!!
> Date: Thursday, 11 October 2001 15:09
>
> Dear All
> I understand that Carmen Lawrence is attending the Homebirth Week
Awareness
> picnic in Geelong and that as she is the MP for Fremantle and supporter
of
> the Community Midwifery Program WA that she and other Labour (women) MPs
> support the replication of CMWA acroos the country if Labour wins the
> election!!
>
> Now is the time for all of us to visit our federal MP's and all
candidates
> to secure their committment to universal access to midwifery models of
care
> for all Australains!!!
>
> This list can be help in generating ideas, strategies and keeping all
> energised and infromed as previously!!
>
> My local MP recommends that you have a specific strategy to ask polies to
> implement (rather than a concept)so I am opting for;
> 1) Replication of the Community Midwifery WA across the country.
> 2) Access for Community Midwives/MIPP's  to every maternity unit across
the
> country (as recommended by NHMRC and every review of maternity services
in
> the past 2 decades).
> 3) Establishment of birth centres and team midwifery projects in every
> maternity unit across the country.
> 4) Introduction of no fault health insurance as in NZ in light of the
> insurance industry collapses which will probably be escalated after the
WTC.