From: Justine Caines <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: OzMid List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2001 3:15 PM
Subject: Re: Political Action is Imperative NOW!!!

Hi Denise

I am attaching an old message (so the list is up to date on what's been
going on federally, sorry to some individuals who have already seen it) I
agree with asking for specifics not just acknowledgement of a model of  care
etc.  I do think there is still a LOT of work to do with Labor, Jenny
Macklin certainly wasn't interested in making it an election issue (even
though it would make great in roads to curtain the outrageous  rates of
intervention and there associated costs).  I know Carmen Lawrence is
supportive but in the event of a fed Labor Gov we will still have to push
hard - they are still so scared of rocking the AMA boat!!! I think the
national body (that Barb Vernon suggests) is imperative for the on going
campaign and esp direct lobbying.

Anyway the old message follows FYI.  The group was represented by
Maternity Coalition
ACMI
Homebirth Access Sydney
and Sally Tracy as our amazing "brain" or 'nerd' - in her words!!!

Justine Caines

Yesterday we (26 September) (Barb Vernon, myself, Emma Baldock ,Sally Tracy
and Kate Mc Maugh) met with Meg Lees, Jenny Macklin and advisers for both
Amanda Vanstone and Michael Wooldridge.  Barb will no doubt also give you a
perspective on things but here's mine for what it's worth!!

Lees was great (I know we already know she's converted) but she took it a
step further.  She plans to visit WA, we have forwarded on Tracy's details
to her and she got me to write a question for her for question time today!
She has a contact in ACT Health and was quite interested in our developments
there.  We are still plugging away with the ACT (more behind the scenes) as
we still have until 20 Oct before the election.

Macklin was poker faced and revealed very little than a general support of
midwifery and assistance 'where they could', she is unable to "do anything
before the election".  I believe she saw us out of duty as we are a consumer
org.

Vanstone's and Wooldridge's adviser gave us a run for our money!! They
showed little understanding (who's surprised) about the amazing amount of
work that has gone before us.  Astoundingly when we metioned the ultrasound
budget in relation to antenatal care they replied with "If you can present
an argument for cost saving in ultrasound I am sure health ministers would
like to see it" -DER did they forget that's about the only thing Rocking the
Cradle did.

They want a succint 3 page paper on our ideas for a solution to the lack of
midwifery care in this country (in our own words -how condescending).  Sally
T is helping us on this (phew!!).  The lack of a health focus for the Gov is
a bit of a worry both Wooldridge and Tambling (Parl Health Sec) are not
re-standing so Wooldridge's office are linking us up with a Comm Health
Bureaucrat (which won't go astray).  We plan to meet with Vanstone's office
again and will push the status of women stuff.

We will circulate the paper widely ( may as well hey) and continue to push
on.  If we get a Labor Gov in the ACT (election Oct 20) we may have a real
chance in effecting change.  Will keep you all posted.

Yours in the struggle (and yes I feel a bit like that today)

Justine Caines