Joy and List,

The point you illustrate is obviously correct Joy.  You must have been very
disappointed that your work had been "borrowed" without asking and used in
such a sense.

In this case, however, I feel that my copying the story to Jane (although I
couldn't have told you who I'd copied it to until today) was permission - or
at the very least, my indication of a preparedness to have the work used,
but I was surprised to find the story actually in print, without having been
notified that such would be the case.

I guess we are all lucky when we find out that such copies of our writing
exist!  I suppose there must be many instances where people's writing is
used and never discovered.  I have taken this as a compliment (am feeling
quite literary even!) and hope that readers of Jane's book will benefit from
my take on the events of my son's birth.  I was surprised it was used in a
'real' book without me realising it was going to be, but delighted that the
story was considered appropriate, and of course the book itself is now a
special momento to me and, perhaps one day, to my son.  Joy, your point is a
little different - and hints at something of the lazy and uninspired on the
part of the plagiarists of your web site - whose purposes may have been
well, but who entered into no relationship of any kind with you before using
your wise words to their own good ends.

Hopefully authors, compilers and all of those recognising the good work of
others are always willing to give credit where it is due - after all,
there's nothing like spreading the good word.

Jo

> The issue you have raised is important Jo.  The electronic medium makes it
> all too easy for anyone to pick up whatever they fancy and reprint it.

I think this sort of thing needs to be addressed, and those