Dear Toni and list.

While Claire Brassard may be a very competent birth attendant (I have no way of
knowing either way), and there may be other 'traditional' birth attendants out
there, I cannot support such a protest until such time as we have recognition of
their knowledge and skills against the same criteria that formally prepared
midwives do.

In all States and Territories and in most countries around the world the word
'midwife' is a protected title. This means that only those people who meet their
country's criteria to be recognised as a midwife can be called a midwife and can
practise under law as a midwife. The QNC has no option but to take this action
because neither it nor any other regulatory authority in Australia has the power
to 'recognise' these women as midwives.

I reiterate, this is irregardless of their level of knowledge, skill and
experience, and many of you would argue that some of these women would run rings
around us formally educated midwives. That is as may be. But how does anyone
know for sure? With no standard against which they can be measured for minimum
requirements to competence?

I therefore suggest that it is self-defeating to ask for an individual to claim
the title 'midwife' and the right to practise as such when there is no statute,
and no caveat that will allow it. Rather it would be more to the point to try to
create the process that would recognise 'other' ways of entering the profession
besides formal studies. USA managed this process. It will be costly and
time-consuming and might fail. But it is imperative to protect the right of
women to have a standard of midwife, because if the standard can vary greatly
across formal programs when there are all sorts of processes in place to enforce
them, then the standard for those without formal training and education can vary
even more greatly..... But we will never know because they are never measured.
And anyone could lay claim to the title 'midwife'. And that is not a situation I
would like to see happen.

Women might want choices, but they want and deserve some assurance that the
choices they make are from safe alternatives. They must trust the profession to
regulate itself in their interests because not every woman has the resources to
investigate each birth attendant herself. This is actually working quite well,
and the processes put in place to begin national standardisation in the last
couple of years will assure that it works even better in the future. It is hoped
women will have a greater say in how these processes work and what standards
will be met from now on. And that might include recognition of 'lay' or
'traditional' birth attendants as midwives.

Just my thoughts, and with greatest respect to individuals referred to, who may
indeed be the safest attendant possible. Trish David.