Title: Re: RE B MID
Let's all embrace Jan's desire for our future student midwives nurturance and use our combined spirits and will's to bring it to pass!!
Denise
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 5:41 AM
Subject: Re: RE B MID

Lear Tina and list

I am sure any negativity will disappear as the new-age students begin to infiltrate the workplace. There is no need to mention the words “direct entry” when beginning.  All students should be seen as new beginners with individual needs seeking support and sharing of midwifery matters from their more experienced colleagues. Each student will enter the clinical arena with her own prior knowledge of pregnancy and birth, just as they do now. One would hope that the 2002 students will also be prepared beforehand by their universities in dealing with challenges when establishing new collegiate relationships in the workplace.

There is a fine example of collegiate sharing and cooperation currently underway at the St George Hospital, Kogarah.
A student from the Seattle Midwifery School (Marilyn, who often contributes to this list) is working hard there to get her ‘catches’ and any other experience she can with hospital managed births before she heads back to Seattle to sit her final exams. She has integrated well with the other students, is accepted by the registered staff and getting along with the administration. The only negativity towards her has come from a couple of midwives who are constantly bullying and putting down ALL students  (she understands that bullying is a continuing problem in this country and she is dealing with the situation appropriately)
Most of the midwives working with Maralyn would not be aware she comes from a background different to other students gaining midwifery experience at the St George campus and they interact with her as they would with all.
(A big round of applause for the midwives of St George Hospital!)

The potential for fostering a stronger profession, encouraging diversity in it’s portals of entry will be enhanced as long as the hospitals become proactive and prepare their staff appropriately to provide the type of support necessary for adult learners. There will be educative programs set up between Universities and their clinical campuses to this end, I’m sure.

I would hope that the student’s hospital clinical experiences are organised so that they don’t occur until students have prior experience working with midwives operating woman focused practices (e.g. Natural Birth Centres, Community Midwifery Programs and Caseload practices). They should then have the advantages of such models fixed in their imaginations before being exposed to the hospital situation where midwives who are often (operating under circumstances beyond their control)  have to focus on the immediate needs of their employer, their immediate managers, the rosters, the visitors and their work-mates, allowing little time to spend debriefing students and fostering efficient learning.

The optimal learning environment will eventuate as case-load becomes the universal norm for all clinicians and each student works with the same caseload as her preceptoring midwife.  I can’t wait to see that day!

Jan Robinson