Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2002 9:02 PM
Subject: can anyone offer any suggestions?

Hi wonderful listers,
we received this via the CARES web site and thought some one might know what these people could do....sounds like  red tape!  (personally I wonder why thy want to come to cs capital?!  Sorry, long day and feeling vindictive!)
cheers Jo

Hi Ladies

I do not know if you can help me but I am a New Zealander living in Asia and we want to come to Adelaide for the birth of our first child. My partner is presently 6 months pregnant.

The problem we face is a "Catch 22" situation with the Australian Immigration Dept visa requirements. If my partner is to stay for more than 3 months, and we were thinking  of coming down 2 months before the birth and staying for 2-3 months after, she is required to have a chest X Ray as a pre condition of a visa. As a pregnant woman 0f course she cannot be X rayed. We are at our wits end trying to find a way around this.........could you help us in any way, have you heard of other people from overseas coming to Australia to give birth.

I would be really grateful if you could help us in any way with this problem.

Regards

Ira and Eliot Sanft

Jo Bainbridge
founding member CARES SA