>Dear Ozmidders
The purpose of this email is to draw the following conference to your
attention.
We'd appreciate it if you could disseminate this information as widely as
possible. Registration brochures are now available by mail.

Included is the basic information - if you are interested in offering a
paper let us know urgently.

>Best wishes

Kerreen

                   INTERDISCIPLINARY CONFERENCE

>          'Performing Motherhood: Ideology, Agency and Experience'
>
>                           4-6 JULY 2002
>            La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia
>
>Motherhood and mothering are gaining momentum as important areas of
>scholarship.   The idea of "performance" denaturalises and recognises
differences in women's experience. How do we "act" our mothering in
reference to internalised familial scripts and wider discourses around
'race'/ethnicity and class?  By association, how do we resist these scripts
and disrupt normative mothering?  This conference will explore a variety of
themes in contemporary feminist scholarship and activism.

>We welcome papers from a variety of sources including academics, health
>care professionals, activists, psychotherapists, public policy makers, and
>students from cross-cultural, international, intergenerational and
>interdisciplinary perspectives.
>
>Opening Lecture will be given by Susan Maushart (The Mask of Motherhood).
>Other speakers include Pru Goward, Federal Sex Discrimination
>Commissioner, and on video from New York, Sara Ruddick (Maternal Thinking)
>and Jane Lazarre (The Mother Knot) who will be interviewed by Kerreen
>Reiger (Our Bodies, Our Babies: The Forgotten Women's Movement).
>

>Deadline for paper submissions: 25 April
>Elisabeth Speller on e-mail, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>or
>Petra Bueskens on e-mail, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>For further information on Program details, please telephone Louise
>Palmer, Women's Studies Administrator on (03) 9479 5898 or e-mail
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dr Kerreen Reiger
Director of Women's Studies
Senior Lecturer in Sociology