Dear listers, a happy Midwives day to you all on 5th May.  WA celebrations sound wonderful I wish I could be there. if anyone went to the ICM congress and wants to give a run down of what it was like I'm all eyes and ears. Alas this time around I could not go, legal stuff has sucked up my funds but I'm definitely welcoming the world in Brisbane 2005.
A few questions have arisen from the list the suckling reflex begins at 32 weeks , it was what I learnt 10 years ago as LC and I've just resat the exam and no it has not changed. Regarding PI insurance I sent an email to terry requesting transcript so I wait and see.  To all the wonderful Midwives Partners families women and men that keep up this amazing work of striving for what is right a big WELL DONE. I know it feels like we are not getting anywhere, but we are, slowly but surely.  As a member of amalg Australian Midwives Act lobby group we are plodding along and are back to the drawing board at the college office in SA 6th May to progress our work.
As Caroline Flint said 15 years ago if everyone midwife tells one person a day that they meet about what a midwife is( lets face it this is the fundamental problem here in Oz) then that person knows.
Tell the check out person, deli owner , mail man/woman,tell a child.
As used by Sandra Kanck recently International women's day 8th March from TH.Lawrence,excuse the sexist language:
  'those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all
  was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous (wo)men, for they may act their dream
  with open eyes, and make it possible'.
Let us foster cooperation, compassion, intelligence between us and the world we live in.
Love to all, Marijke