I agree wholeheartedly with Joy. This is exactly what I did when I was attending homebirths. I think the most important thing to do in any labour is to LISTEN TO THE WOMAN, more often than not they pick up variations through their intuition. Mind you I don't necessarily believe many women in hospital are able to do that, often because a) their mindset is completely different and b) labour is masked by a variety of external factors, ie pain relief, CTG's etc.

Trying to incorporate my homebirth philosophy into a level 3 delivery suite often brought me into conflict with other members of staff. Having said that many of the women I looked after went on to have normal births, I wasn't so successful in getting rid of all the paraphernalia, I just didn't always take alot of notice of it!!!!

Still, really found that too stressful so am working in postnatal, I am getting very good at picking up the pieces!

Sally