Hi,

For your interest, here's my response to the Melbourne's child article on
breastfeeding, on behalf of the Australian Breastfeeding Association

I heard about the article"Warning: Breastfeeding may starve your baby"
before I saw it.  Oh, no I thought.  Another sensationalist head line and
inflammatory attack on breastfeeding, something I hope we've moved beyond in
Australian society.

When I read the article, however, what I heard was the heart-felt story of a
mother who had courageously persevered with breastfeeding problems,sought
expert help and information, but  for the sake of herself and her baby, had
ultimately decided to bottlefeed her baby.

When a mother doesn't breastfeed often she is faced with one of two
comments.  Either "Breastfeeding doesn't matter" or "you should have(could
have) tried harder."  Both of these responses devalue the mother's feelings
and the efforts women have gone through to breastfeed.

Breastfeeding does matter. The health and emotional benefits are well
documented.  It's something that women want to do. That's why it so often
arouses such strong feelings.  Many grieve  when they are not able to
breastfeed.   Women far beyond their childbearing age, many of them
grand-parents or great grandparents,  carry around their breastfeeding
stories all their life.  Sadness that it did not work out, joy and pride
that they breastfed their babies.

Jenny Evans did everything she could to breastfeed her child.  Ultimately,
it didn't work for her.  While most mothers can and do breastfeed,
especially with the correct information and support.  Breastfeeding
counsellors who work with breastfeeding mothers every day bear witness to
the fact that, for many mothers breastfeeding is a hard journey, and some
are ultimately not successful.  There is much, much more we need to find out
about breastfeeding.  Breastfeeding knowledge and support has come along
way, but mothers still have to experience inconsistent information and
advice from everyone from many sources.

When should a mother stop breastfeeding?  Well, that's a question only a
mother can answer.  For every story like Jenny's I hear another story of a
woman who regrets accepting advice to stop breastfeeding when she felt she
could have persevered, or found out later other options were available.  But
every mother makes her decision on what is the best thing for herself, her
baby and her family.  And she deserves respect and support for her decision.

Jenny Evans' story flags the failings in our system and the need for
stronger networks, more support and more research into breastfeeding.  And
the need to hear women's stories about breastfeeding and give them the
respect that they deserve.

Barbara Glare
Australian Breastfeeding Association