Date: Monday, June 10, 2002 23:32:09
To: ozmid
Subject: lactation/menstruation

Further on that fascinating topic...My first baby sucked all night long
and cry if nothing in her mouth - if she couldn't find what she wanted,
she'd just suck the first bit of skin she could latch on to. Result -
lovebites covering breasts, abdomen and sometimes arms, though generally
she made sure she was in the right place. Periods returned after 10
months. Second baby hardly fed at night and slept through at an early
age, or woke infrequently for short feed then nod back off. Period
returned at 12 weeks (pregnant at 14 weeks - bummer) Third baby, another
constant craver and like the first would wake and cry if he realised no
boob in mouth. Period back after 11 months. My conclusion (! in
consultation with other friends who agree with this) that it's the all
night suckers who keep the periods away. I'm sure there's a slogan there
somewhere... 'if you don't want to bleed, give em boobs while they
sleep...?!' Further to that, neither first nor third child suck their
thumb (none had dummies) whilst middle does need this comfort. Seems
they got their oral gratifiaction in first couple of years. Have always
wondered if there are any long-term studies connecting this and smoking
in later years.....Sally :~)