Dear 'Worried Mum',

I am a midwife and I, too, had a 3rd degree tear with the birth of my first child.  I
had him in a birth centre and was also happy with my birth experience.  He was 4.3 kg.
My 2nd child was born in the small maternity unit in which I now work.  My sister
'caught' my daughter.  She was 4.5 kg and I had an intact perineum - no tears at all.

Over the years, I have also cared for a number of women who have had 3rd degree tears
with previous births.  I have never seen any of them have repeat 3rd degree tears.

I think there are a number of factors that contribute to a 3rd degree tear.
For me there was a big psychological component.

I think it's important to trust your instincts, and I also think you need to be able
to trust your midwife or obstetrician.  You need to feel that they respect you and
your wishes.  It doesn't sound like that's the way it is at the moment ("it was me
against four of them").

I hope this helps.

Jacky Eales

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.