Dear Jo, Liz, Andrea, Lynne and list

It is non-informed consent to your management not to tell a woman she has an
OP position during pregnancy ... Just as it is negligent not to tell her all
of the possible ways she can deal with changing it during pregnancy and
labour.

There is almost always a way a fetal OP position can be changed - dependent
on where the challenge to it's turning presents.
Jean Sutton  has presented these ways very well in her "Optimal Fetal
Positioning"  book.

If the challenge is ABOVE the brim and external to the uterus eg.  strong
abdominal muscles holding the baby tight against the mother's spinal column
.. Then there is every likelyhood of the occiput turning towards the front
once it hits the pelvic floor.  (No problems except usually more lower back
pain experienced during labour)  The majority of posterior positions in
primigravidas are due to their wonderful muscle tone.

However,  if the problem is above the brim and INTERNAL eg. Low lying
anterior placenta the baby has a more difficult time gaining access to the
pelvis and usually has to rock into it using an asynclitic mechanism. These
babies usually present with very bruised scalp tissue and horrendous upward
moulding (if they remain in the posterior position and deliver that way) and
with backward moulding (similar to a brow if the placenta was low and to one
side) and they had to spend a lot of time getting through the brim and then
turned once they reached the level of the ischial spines.

I had an example of the latter early yesterday morning with a client having
her third baby. (The first two had birthed with normal mechanisms.)

Kathryn commenced a labour that was sporadic all day Tuesday, and did not
establish properly until late Tuesday night with the help of cualiphylum.
She progressed slowly throughout the night, wanting to push prematurely and
ending with a thick anterior lip that wouldn't budge for some hours despite
side lying and trying just about every other position to open up her outlet.
Her major complaint throughout was "my hips, my hips,...."

Although abdominal examination revealed the occiput had finally disappeared
into the brim just before sunrise, a repeat vaginal  examination revealed
lip still  present and caput ++ with head still above the spines. The
thought of an epidural was tempting  as we were all sleep deprived at this
time. There was a large fecal mass now evident in the rectum (not present
earlier) so the advice was to try and sit on the toilet and evacuate it with
the hope that it would provide a new space for the occiput to descend and
rotate ... and after a few sips of warm lemon cordial and water to restore
energy, a few pushes with contractions that evacuated the faecal mass,the
head quickly followed.  Oh, what a feeling!!! and not just for the mother!

I also had another experience with a posterior (that remained that way) at
home  some years ago  due to a low-lying anterior placenta. It was the
second pregnancy. (First baby no problems, in fact a very easy birth).

Linda's labour progressed slowly throughout the day,  into the night and the
next morning as well. Despite the pain, she persevered with her persistently
posterior position, using the bath, the birthing ball, eventually reclining
upright on a beanbag with exhaustion .. because of the knowledge of what
would happen  to her if we transferred to hospital (she was a midwife!).
Linda's pain management skills were so powerful, she could literally rise
above her contractions. She insisted that when the head finally crowned that
she REST to recover the strength she knew she needed to let that huge
presenting mass out.
My trust in her almost wavered at that stage,  but she reminded me that the
FHS were still OK and that she knew what she was doing.  In hindsight,  she
was allowing her external  genitalia to stretch to adequately accommodate
the  diameters of that huge POP head.
Eventually she got up on all fours and let her baby out slowly (no tearing
at all) and I have never been so in awe of anyone as I was that morning
Linda let her little baby boy out so gently.

The upward moulding on that baby's head was so grotesque that he initially
looked like an dwarf to me ... His swollen scalp and upwardly moulded head
just looked so large in proportion to the rest of his body!

Linda later went on to have a lovely birth in the water with her third baby,
delivered her herself with her mother assisting the 'catch'.

However, Linda had nightmares about pain for weeks when she viewed the video
of her POP birth.

I'll make a teaching package about posteriors with her and Kathryn soon and
and I'll include their births in it  ... before examples of successful
posterior outcomes are lost  the the students of tomorrow.

Midwives will need to be stronger advocates for  women as we move into an
age where OP gets added to the list of reasons  for doing an elective C/S.
As midwives they need to be aware that they must be proficient in picking up
the posterior position and monitoring it's descent into the pelvic brim
ABDOMINALLY so they can support the woman making slow progress but more
importantly that they don't  miss  the one that converts into a brow and
obstructs. The converted brow is the only one that does need a CS and of
course they DO OCCUR.
I know Kathryn went pretty close to becoming a brow yesterday ...
I hope the photographs of the baby's bruising and moulding show proof  of
that.

Yours in best management of the OP i.e. Midwifery management

Jan Robinson