Dear Judy,

Your first step for info is the Maternity Coalition National Maternity Action Plan.

Next step, inform consumers now so that they can respond to the media and politicians.

Finally, protect yourself.  Be aware that people monitor this list, print off your positng and give it to yor boss.

Best wishes,

Kathleen

Kathleen Fahy
Professor of Midwifery
Head of School of Nursing and Midwifery
Faculty of Health
The University of Newcastle
University Drive,
Callaghan, 2308

Ph 02 49215966

Fax 02 49216981

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 08/15/02 10:50am >>>

Hi All

Assistance is needed urgently.
We have a relatively new DON in Mackay and yesterday we were told by one of
the nurse managers that she is not in favour of midwives. Apparently we all
think ourselves too good and she wants us to be good little nursies and go
back to doing what the doctors tell us to do.

She has given our NPC (ex Birth Centre and homebirth midwife) till next
Fricay to justify every position in the unit.
Wants to get rid of midwife antenatal clinic, 7 day EMS, Antenatal classes
etc. The Birth Centre has to justify its existance (thank God they have a
strong consumer support group).

I need references to easily obtained evidence to assist in our case.

As well I need a leaflet to be able to give out to women and the community
on the role and responsabilites of a midwfe. We need community support.

Also need to find out the midwife:Client ratio in Birthing suites,
especially Qld Health Facilities.

Thanks in advance
Judy