Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2002 11:28 AM
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] Re: Do I need insurance

Hi Claudia and Larissa

There are a couple of different types of insurance.

Public liability is to cover class participants as they attend the sessions and have an accident – fall over and the like – it will cover their medical expenses.   Yes this one is considered a necessity for anyone running a business. However, being a mum I find I automatically walk around invisibly picking up things off the floor left where someone might fall over it.  Constantly gently checking that everyone’s ok – not at risk of injury. Over 14 years have never had an incident.

Another insurance is to cover theft, fire etc  and / or loss involving teaching aids on your premises. This may be covered in your normal household insurance if you run a business from home. That’s another one I have.

Professional indemnity is another insurance available if you give “advice”.

I have looked at everything I say and do – all the handouts I give etc. and I believe they are all evidenced based and safety focused.  As an educator I don’t feel “at risk” of being sued over the information (not advice) that I provide.

So I don’t have prof indemnity ins.

Interestingly though when I rang around a few brokers a couple of years ago to enquire about pro find ins there were two questions they asked me before they rejected my application. 1. Does your teaching ever have anything to do with homebirth ?  and 2. Does your teaching ever have anything to do with waterbirth ?

After answering yes to both they told me they didn’t expect any insurance company to take it on and if anyone did it would be very expensive.

So I didn’t worry about it.  I don’t need it. I don’t give advice.  I’m very mindful to stick with evidenced based and an attitude of safety.  I believe this is Andrea Robertson’s attitude too.

Though someone with a different opinion is Carol Flanagan – Ex Childbirth Ed and now working full time as a Solicitor – had Maggie as her midwife – very happily – and did a wonderful task of supporting Maggie through her crisis a couple of years ago.    Carol looks at the professional indemnity  insurance as a necessity in the case where someone who is very unreasonable decides to attempt to sue an educator, then the educator needs the insurance cover to pay for their defense.  Otherwise it could cost the educator their family home to defend themselves.

I think it’s worthwhile to listen to everyone’s opinion and then think it through for yourself.

Self-reflect on what you say and how you say it in class, over the phone and in writing. Check the integrity.

Hope the above information helps.

hug

Julie Clarke

Childbirth and Parenting Educator