Hep B immunisation at birth was introduced in May 2000 for all babies.  When we were getting inservice prior to the introduction of the new schedule we were told another recommendation of the advisory body was that flu vax was recommended for all pregnant women!  It wasn't included on the "free" list and so wasn't being pushed at that time but we were told that this would be the next step!
Just keeps getting scarier and scarier doesn't it?

Sandra
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 12:51 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Hep B at Birth

I nearly fell off my chair when I read about Hep B at Birth. It occurred to me long ago that if you bombard a baby's immune system with foreign bodies before it even has a chance to develop, surely it will go haywire.

I had the opportunity of bailing up Dr. Adrian Baume (I think I have the name right), then (don't know about now) head of the federal government's health body that was pushing compulsory vaccinations against everything possible -- at the same congress where I delivered the paper on mothers, babies, weight gain and subsequent self-image. I asked him if this bombardment could be connected with immune problems later in life. The answer? Shuffling of well-studied feet and oh I must run, I'm late, goodbye.

My son became asthmatic at the age of 4 -- when I succumbed to pressure and had him immunised with MMR.

I think we need to spend squillions on researching a condom that fits over the entire baby in utero, so it will be born in a safe environment.

Aviva in disbelief, dismay and disgust.