Sent: Sunday, October 20, 2002 7:40 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Living and dying

Hi all,
Want to share with you the extent of the 'trial' of being a homebirth attendant.
Last week, one of the mothers whose births I attended in March was hit by a car and life support turned off at 5 days.
I want to try to share with you the absolute grief I felt at such a callous and medical attitude to a mother's life.
The decision to turn her off was made by her partner (of 12 months), and her two brothers.There are no parents, and there were no others who were mothers who were there to make the decision.
She was my friend as well as one of my birthing mums. She was 41 and gave birth to her first (and only) baby in water at home on a lovely March morning. She was an animal activist, a birth activist, a strong, passionate woman who became my friend. We were building a 'wicked birth' website together.

I read this and realise that you probably won't 'get' the gist of my pain and grief from my lack of ability to explain it. I helped this woman prepare for her birth, give birth, and then I helped through her tough post-partum period. Her baby is now 6 months old and is permanently without her mother.
The medical told her family she was brain dead, had no future, the machines read nothing, it was irrefutable. I had gone through a similar scenario with my brother some years ago - only my mother in her mother's strength said 'no' to giving up on my brother. He woke up 3 months after his accident and his first words were ' get me out of here'. He now lives on his own and is as good as most of our population.

I only wanted the same for the little baby girl.

As much as we give to all the couples we help through birth, we can also give through death. I remember reading the article "midwives for the dying" some years ago, and now understand what it means.

I fail to understand how clinical and disconnected and unbelieving in miracles this world can be ... I am proud to stand outside that box.

Sue Cookson