----- Original Message -----
From: Julie Garratt
Sent: Thursday, 7 November 2002 5:19 PM
To: BMid
Subject: Born in the sea.

Hi all,
      I think with all this cascade of intervention stuff happening. I would like to tell you very quickly about the birth of my dear friend. He is from PNG and lived by the water in a very hot climate. After his mother had sent her husband to get her sister to help and support her while she gave birth. She decided that she would go and sit on the beach where it was cool and the water would ease her pain. It was apparently a long way to the next village and when the father and the sister had returned to find that she wasn't labouring in their house as expected the sister was drawn by some unknown force down to the beach. The mother turned around and acknowledged the arrival of her sister just as a glistening wet baby dropped onto the sand. The now aunty and mother were laughing as they washed the sand from him in the sea water because they thought that this meant he was going to be a fisherman and not a farmer like his father.

I was charmed by this birth story and I'm so glad he shared it with me. Its funny though because my friend doesn't seem to think its that special, he did say that as far as he knows babies aren't usually born in the ocean in his village. He also said that there were no midwives just mothers, friends and sisters to support women to give birth. He also said that it was definitely women's business then in the next breath he told me how much he enjoyed watching all of his babies being born here in Australia. Its a funny world!
                                               Julie'',