Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 11:14 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] accreditation

On 4/11/02 10:36 AM, "Laraine Hood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi, I am currently undertaking my Masters in Mid, tackling the subject of accreditation/credentialling of independent midwives. In the light of current PI issues, and the NMAP push, I felt that all efforts at improving the 'professional image' would be positive. But, I am having great difficulty finding appropriate references.  I am aware of the ACMI guidelines and work for the Community Midwifery Program of WA but need to know what 'accreditation/credentialling is available for other MWs particularly in other states, but also other countries.  Also thanks Rhonda for the ant story... I am also trying that approach of 'God I know these references are out there, please help me find them'.  I have noticed a distinct lack of ants in the Library though where I spend much time so maybe I need to take up rock climbing.  Thanks, all help is appreciated, Laraine.

Hi Laraine

In NZ all midwife practitioners who take on their own case-load reflect on their practice on a regular basis and submit their records to the NZ College of Midwives annually. If the self-reflection process reveals some perceived inadequacies in her practice the midwife can ask for a College assessor to give guidance.

It is one of the best systems to maintain credentialling standards that I have ever seen and I’m sure you could get details by emailing Karen Guilliland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> . I’m not sure if this is still her email address but give it a try.
Good luck with your search, the NZ College would probably have references for you as well.

Cheers
Jan

 Jan Robinson                                            Phone/fax: 011+ 61+ 2+ 9546 4350
 Independent Midwife Practitioner            e-mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 8 Robin Crescent                                     www:   midwiferyeducation.com.au
 South Hurstville  NSW  2221                    National Coordinator, ASIM