I had an interesting experience with my third baby and my osteopath (also my
close friend). Was having a treatment, 30+ weeks, and she was feeling my
pelvis and tummy area and the baby was pulling away as if it didn't like
being touched. I could feel this happening and as the treatment continued
she got a strong sense that the baby wasn't being touched enough and needed
this. Eventually the baby warmed to her and I could feel him ("it" at the
time) soften in to her hands, letting her play with him. Afterwards we
talked about it and I was always touching my baby and talking to it, but due
to the strains of life, my husband had not spent much time with my tummy and
the life inside it, so we guessed that the baby was only used to my touch.
Unfortunately the tummy never got the attention it needed, but father and
son are very close and there is oodles of touch and lots of trust. I often
wonder if that treatment was about my need to be touched and the baby was
carrying that emotion for me. Quite a powerful experience.

So yes I'm all for haptonomy

Megan.