Rhonda, I had a lady client who was given a similar prognosis for her baby at 16 weeks, altho the cause of haviung such a little bit of fluid was not known.  She too was offered a termination and after we left the obs office, she turned to me and said that the baby was fine and what were we to do next? well, I got on the phone to a few indep. M/Ws in other states and was told that the lady should increase her Omegas (ie. eat LOTS of fatty fish and their by-products), have a long talk with herself and her partner (and the baby of course) in order to get a feeling of what was going down, to see the local accupuncturist/chinese herbalist, take Floradix, get involved with relaxation sessions and other pregnant women - and to avoid making any decisions until she had saught out the opinion of another Obst.  Well, in two weeks, she was in for an U/S which found that there was enough fluid to more than sustain her growing unborn child - the Obst. found it hard to believe that there could be such a radical change in fluid amounts - we just looked at each other and gave each other a knowing smile... that little girl is now 7 years old and VERY cheeky!!! and her Mum still thinks of me every time she opens a can of tuna!  I LOVE being a midwife! Cheers! Terry
----- Original Message -----
From: Rhonda
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 9:36 AM
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] FW: [birthnews] Social use of Ultrasound in Pregnancy

I know of a woman who was booked in for a termination because at 18 weeks the ultrasound picked up a leak in the membrane and they said that the baby would end up with no fluid and would die.  She was so destraut that she went and had another ultrasound done the day before the appointment - the leak had stopped, baby had moved and blocked it some how.
He was born full term and healthy.
She was a low income woman - Dad had been in and out of jail about 30 times, they were as rough as they come but lovely people really and I was sure they looked at her and did not question termination bassed on her "social standing"  rather than checking as she had to go and have a private second oppinion.  I told her that she had the right to do this and she was so glad that she had.

Regards
rhonda dfffffffffffffffffff    q    ddddd  77  & George