Congratulations on travelling with this woman on her journey through the fear barrier, Rosemary.  Well done also in 'speaking to' the other attending midwife about her remarks which would not have been helpful to the woman.  It takes courage to challenge colleagues.  Many have been saying and doing things for many years that are fear inducing to parents without realising it.  The support you provided to this woman will always be remembered.   Kind regards, Lois

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2002 3:25 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] True Knots

Interesting Tere
I've just come from a birth. 2nd baby. 1st was long posterior and 3rd 4th degree tear. 8 1/2 lb. Se was very fearful of tearing again this time. I felt like I was the keeper of the perineum.
Anyway today I got a call at 5.45am, she's in labour. 41wks good sized baby, theres not much of her.
We went into hospital because she had to have IV A/B's for GBS pos, and there was some leaking of clear fluid. Hospital at 6.30, IV abs etc. Settled into labour.
11am came and she was requesting an epidural. VE revealed 8cm pp at station -1. We urged her to use the gas but after 20 mins and no urge to push, we organised an epidural which she had a 1300. She went on to have a slowly birthed baby at 1419 4230gms! with a true knot in the cord. What a lucky baby! someone was looking after him. P.S she sustained a small 1st degree tear not sutured. All the old scarring was really visible. Dad birthed the body with a little help, it was a little tug.
They are all pleased. The hospital midwife who was helping me was telling her during her labour, her belly looked OP and it was a Large baby!!  I spoke to the midwife afterwards and she said she couldn't lie to her. The position had been LOA for many weeks and throughout labour.
Seeya
Rosemary Weckert
Desert Rose Midwife
Alice Springs