We planned on having out two sons present at the birth at home of number
three, boys were 3 1/2years and just under two. I showed them the video of
number two being born, water birh at home, we watched it lots and also some
other videos our midwife lent us. I told them about the noise I might make
and about how not to talk when I was concentrating on the baby coming out.
Likened it to having to concentrate when driving the car and looking for a
carpark, can't talk much then either. I told them it might hurt me, but it
was a special hurt just for helping babies to come out. I told them it had
to come out between my legs, a special whole that only mummies have, boys
don't have one. Daddy would be rubbing my back and helping me and the baby.
Importantly you need to arrange a person/s for the children, someone they
trust and they need to support your philosophies of childbirth, you don't
want their fear coming into your birth. My husband wasn't as keen as I was,
but he agreed to take it as it came. I also told them that I might want to
be on my own and they may have to go for a walk or to grandma's. I
acknowledged that this could upset them and hence affect my labour, but
figured I would allow half an hour extra in labour for this to be worked
through(not scientifically based).Birth can take a while so children will
probably want other things to do. You have to accept that may not even like
to be there at the time, nothing is set in concrete.
It helps if they are involved with the pregnancy, attending appointments if
in hospital or helping the midwife if at home. Kids just love the tools of a
midwife, fundal measurements might be a bit out though if they help.
Some good books are "Having a Baby" by Jenni Overend and also the writer of
"Maisie Mouse" series has one about introducing a new sibling etc, (sorry
don't know the name).
Lots of talking, my youngest wasn't that interested, but the older boy new
all about the placenta and unbilical cord, he loved the blood and mess.
After all my education, baby decided to enter the world in the middle of the
night and the boys slept right through it all. We woke the eldest up a
couple of hours later to help cut the cord. Little one didn't wake til usual
time. It was a fast and demanding labour so it was appropriate that the boys
weren't there, I believe I wouldn't have coped as well, things happen for a
reason.
My oldest, now 4 1/4 years thinks I should have another baby so as our
midwife can visit us again and so as he can be awake to see the birth this
time. I love this, but dad's not to keen. He offered to pay the midwife just
to visit, no baby.

So I don't think it matters how old other children are, just prepare them as
best you can for the birth and enjoy the time.

Cheers
Megan.