Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 2:33 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] SalariedVersusContract

In a message dated 11/27/02 9:29:44 AM W. Australia Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I thought you/CMWA were in negotiation for a special "award" because MIPPS
homebirth midwives whatever you class yourselves as - definitely have more
responsibility skills to Birth Centre midwives (the salary level) who follow
more protocols, directions ,limits on their practice and autonomy, being in
close proximity to a hospital etc.

A special award is one of the things that would help - but as far as being in negotiations about that one issue - it is more complex than that, as I'm sure you will appreciate.  However, I must stress that CMWA are committed to working through the various issues surrounding the program (not just pay, but other working/ practice conditions).  However, it is not going to be something that we can arrive at overnight (more's the pity).

Assent has just been given to the new community insurance package here in WA.  We understand the the Program/ Program midwives would be ideally suited to receive PI cover under this - but it is still early days.  As such, that may solve some of the problems, and allow us to go back to how it was 18 months ago.  But that still doesn't resolve other issues such as general lack of funding etc. by the DOH.

Debbie Slater
Perth, WA
writing in her capacity as Chair of CMWA