Hearing the chorus of the midwife in birth suite offering encouragement to the birthing woman she has only just met today. "Good girl, you are doing so well". My heart weeps. The woman cries out "I can't do this". I offer to this women who I also may have just meet. "Change your mantra. "I am doing this". "You are a strong and powerful woman and you are about to become a mother". "You are doing It".
Girls do not birth, women give birth in the transition to motherhood. The honour and power she receives from those unknown women in that transition is her beginning strength as a mother. Being a 'good girl' at this stage I don't think is much value.

Cheers
Gabrielle