Title: Re: [ozmidwifery] Fw: Brisbane enthusiasm
Denise - it's Melissa here...I facilitate Birthtalk with Deb, my sister-in-law (who is the one who put the Question to Peter Beatty at Ipswich) and Karen (whose home birth story was mentioned in your friend's daughter's letter).  I will not mention your friend's daughter's name here for privacy sake...but Denise - you should see the change in her since she started coming to Birthtalk.    Her face is alive, and she is so focussed and excited about having a positive experience next time.  She did not mention that at the last meeting, she also told part of her own story...which had us all shocked at the way she was treated, and how she was manipulated.  I just want to say that not only is she making much effort, and with much enthusiasm, as you have said...but that she is very courageous and has a lot of spirit to come thru the experience she has and face it head on, to help make changes for other women, and for herself in the future.

Melissa

----------
From: "Denise Hynd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Fw:
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 6:51 AM

Dear Listers
 I am forwarding part of an email from the daughter of a friend in Brisbane to share with you her efforts and enthusiasm

I did not know any premier had open house cabbinet meetings??
denise

Hi Denise,

............................I went with friends to the community cabinet meeting at Ipswich recently which starred Peter Beatty, Wendy Edmund etc and mmy friend put a question to them at question time re what are they doing about improving the maternity care for women and babies in QLD, in view of the horrendous intervention and c-sec rates.  Of course Peter stumbled and bumbled and basically said that NMAP has been presented to the Federal govt and it’s up to them to do something about it and provide the funding and that he would refer our concerns to them.  Deb and I will be visiting our local member very soon with Bruce Teackle I think.  We are going to take a written statement of what the ‘now’, what’s wrong with it, and what we want.   I’m very excited about that.  Birthtalk is going well and we have started a media strategy so you might see/hear about us soon down that way.  And Deb and I are also off to a meeting with the Homebirth association soon which I will really enjoy.  I heard a homebirth story the other night at Birthtalk and it was so brilliant and powerful and inspiring.

I just noticed that email you forwarded was from Pinky McKay (The Bumper Stickers) – do you know Pinky?  I’ve read some of her work, it’s wonderful stuff, I love the way she advocates for parenting and mothering babies and children.