Hi Joanne,

Thank you for your kind email.  No I'm not from
Brisbane so I really don't know anybody but one friend
and my sister.  I have moved back to the East Coast
(from WA) so that my family and I:
a/ can access services (eg health) that are not
available in the bush (despite what John Howard says).
 And ...
b/ be closer to family.

This move is especially so for our son Lachlan's
educational opportunities and the fact that we have
another child on the way due mid-March.  My wife
Nicola is booked into Logan Hospital where I have just
came on board as a casual midwife to prepare the way
(in more ways than one).  My wife Nicola does not know
anyone to be confident enough to attempt a home birth.

With our first born my wife stayed at home until we
ran out of hot water and she was ready to go to
hospital.  There the midwives examined her and
discovered her cervix was fully dilated.  Shortly
after my wife gave birth to a beautiful 3600g boy.
Analgesia: hot water, massage and clary sage (our
doula was a homeopathic aromatherapist masseuse).
Home in just over 36hours (had to stay due to mec
liquor).

Standards at the local hospital have since declined
with a local midwife telling me that the c/s rate was
going from 9% back up to 25% in 2002.  Time for us to
move on.  Plus we miss the shops!  We also are going
to miss our doula!  I want to be at the birth as a
father (and midwife second) so would love to find a
doula replacement.

Talk to you soon,

Michael Hall
Midwife, nurse, husband, father
Brisbane
07 38031143 (no answering machine but I'm home every
Mon to Wed)
or 0417 058 244