Title: Message
What a great, first-hand-experienced response.  Thank you for sharing it with the list, Belinda.  Well done with Darcy.  It shows how technology and mother's instincts CAN work together for the best outcomes it they're allowed.  Best wishes,  Lois

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 7:46 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Info on Rhesus negative births

Hi, my 5 month old born with severe ABO incompatability had SBR of 480 at 24 hours of age, off to NICU immediately for treatment which included exchange transfusion, however through out all of this I managed to breastfeed (with 12 hour break for the transfusion and immediately afterwards), Darcy was happy to feed although a little sleepy at times. However staff seemed quite content to tube feed him and IV glucose supplement feed him, so I was a little pushy with breast feeding and turned up every 2-3 hours to do so and under the guise of wanting a cuddle - just happened to try him on the breast! When I got him back after 5 days he soon settled into normal newborn feeding behaviour. I feel for your friend as is so recent for me, encourage her to visit every couple of hours and be a little authoritarian about wanting to breast feed! I am sure if I hadn't been a midwife or an experienced mother (Darcy is number 4) things would have been different. Those feeds were very meaningful to me in early maternal care and protection of my sick baby. Regards Belinda Brustolin, Darwin.