From: Joy Cocks
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 2:32 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Thrush handout/gentian violet

I can't seem to manage to copy and paste, so will rewrite this handout here.
This is certainly not a definitive treatment and I usually suggest that
women use the parts that they feel they can manage.  Also, as someone else
suggested, thrush can be very resistant and take much longer to get out of
the system.  (It is probably time I reviewed the handout anyway.)

Re the gentian violet - this is still recommended by a number of
breastfeeding experts.  However, it can no longer be purchased in Aus to the
best of my knowledge.  The study showed that it was carcinogenic/toxic in
rats in very large doses, much more than we would ever use.  For further
information check out (Dr) Jack Newman's web pages.  He has heaps of good
information.  You should be able to find your way to his articles by going
to http://users.erols.com/cindyrn/printnotenough.htm or do a search for Dr
Jack Newman.

Also Dr Lisa Amir of Richmond (Melbourne) is something of a "thrush expert".

Treatment for Thrush (Yeast Infections) in the Breast.

1.  Treat other thrush infections (vaginal, partner, baby's bottom, etc.)
2.  Use oral Daktaren Gel on nipples and in baby's mouth 3-4 times a day.
3.   Take acidophilus/bifidus supplement - 6 capsules spaced evenly
throughout the day.  Keep in the fridge.
4.  Eat a lot of garlic or take garlic capsules, as it is anti-fungal and
boosts the immune system.
5.  Take zinc supplement as per directions on the bottle.
6.  Reduce sugar to a minimum and use no artificial sweeteners.
7.  Decrease intake of yeasts - bread, wine, Vegemite, Promite, biscuits,
mushrooms.
8.  No dried fruits, grapes, rockmelon or peanuts.
9.  Good foods to eat include plain acidophilus yoghurt, pasta, rice, rice
cakes, fresh fruit and vegies, yeast-free bread, crumpets.
10.  Hygiene - dry upper body and breasts with separate handtowel or nappy;
use soap for hands and nails after nappy change/nipple treatment; soak bras
and breastpads separately, wash, then dry in sun; boil all feeding aids for
10 mins.  If using sterilising solution, ensure that all items are rinsed
with freshly boiled water prior to use.
11.  Rinse nipples with 1 teaspon carb soda to 1 cup boiled water or 1
tablespoon white vinegar to 1 cup of boiled water 3-4 times a day.  Pat dry
and apply antifungal cream.  Air the nipples as much as possible.
12.  Continue treatment for at least 7 days after symptoms have gone.
13.  If the infection is resistant to these treatments, you may need to see
your doctor for oral medication.  Kenacomb ointment may also be useful
(script required) - no need to rinse off before feeds as very little
absorbed through baby's gut.

Joy Cocks RN (Div 1) RM CBE IBCLC
BRIGHT Vic 3741
email:[EMAIL PROTECTED]