I've used water in my three labours and birthed two babies into water(at
home). During my ante natal time I discussed "catching" the baby a number of
times with my midwife. When birthing with love and trust as with my 2nd
baby(first homebirth), it came naturual to put my hands down and feel my
baby's head as it came out and touching the bub's hair floating in the
water. When the head was out and I was waiting for the last contraction to
birth the baby, I was thinking of the responsibility I had in being in
control of finishing the birth. I was scared, but so excited that only I was
going to know when the baby would come out, no coaching to push. The water
is really useful in supporting the weight of the baby as it comes out,
giving the mum time to put her hands around the babies body and bring it up
to her. I think water birth gives mum the chance to see the baby at the same
time as everybody else, unless someone is in the pool with goggles on.
I don't think the education needs to be much more than a relaxed discussion,
letting mum know it's there for her to do if she wants to and perhaps a
supportive reminder at the time of the birth.

Whilst on water birth, I am the consumer voice at SA's water birth study day
on Fri 28th Feb. Does anyone have any thoughts on what they see as being
important in sharing about using water during birth? I can be e-mailed on
[EMAIL PROTECTED] if people want to comment.

Thanks
Megan.