Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2003 5:45 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] lights for peace

Dear friends

I'm forwarding you an email that I've been asked to circulate in Australia from my friends in Italy and France. You may like to help spread the word about this initiative.
Here is a rough translation
Sunday 9th March between 8pm and midnight local time turn on a light as visible as possible from outside whether the balcony, the courtyard, the garden.
Like the majority of humankind we are aginast a war which is being set up, which has been declared for the sake of oil, one which will massacre women, children and civilians and which will inflame terrorists far away from Baghdad the moment the bombs hit that city. We are against a conflict which will create a precedent of preventative wars which allow (it doesn't matter who or what pretext) to intervene, to protect one's interest. We are against a war decided against by public opinion which has clearly expressed its views through public demonstrations. Let us create an image without special effects, indisputable, an image which relects our convictions.
On Sunday 9th March between 8pm and midnight local time turn on a light as visible as possible from outside - a projector, a lamp, a light. This image will be seen from the sky, will be photgraphed and filmed by satellites and aeroplanes and reproduced in all the media. It will remain in the annuls of humankind as a definitive testimony of the hopes of the common future for all humankind. Every hour, every minute, every second counts in the effort to stop the immense army which has been mobilised.
Make sure this message doesn't only reach ten, twenty but fifty of your friends. Translate this message, circulate it amongst strangers, give warning to the media against the hand that would try to stop these images. We have the power of our imagination. Thanks to the internet the image of a lit-up planet can be transmitted like a luminous streak. Never despair. If war is declared before Sunday March 9th it's more important than ever that you should have this light on as it will testify for ever that the war which is being prepared is being prepared against the will of the people, beginning from the American people who are deprived of a means of expression as the hand of power controls television.
NEITHER BUSH NOR SADDAM!!
The UN does exist and with it the means of exerting pressure against the war. Diplomacy also exists. Turn your lights on TOMORROW night 8pm to midnight.

Trudie de Keijzer
phone 02 47574744
mobile 0438 572337
http://www.homebirthservices.com.au