From: Jen Semple
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2003 7:02 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] research @ uni

This semester @ uni we're doing a subject called Research in Healthcare (we share it w/ nursing & bioscience students).  For 1/2 of our mark for the subject, we have to write a research proposal w/ 2 other students.  At this stage, we've thought of a question & have begun to do a literature review & have hit a brick wall!

Basically, we haven't found any existing research on our topic.  I know that doesn't neccesarily mean our topic is crap, but I don't know if that means if our topic is feasible or not!

Just wondering what you all think... whether the topic's feasible, any article suggestions, or anything else that comes to mind.  Here's our question:

"Do women need a routine VE to confirm they're fully dialated before they are 'allowed' to begin pushing?"  or alternatively "Does performing a routine VE to confirm a women's fully dialated before she's 'allowed' to begin pushing reduce maternal &/or fetal outcome?"

All of the midwives did a routine VE to confirm a women's fully dialated before she's 'allowed' to begin pushing @ the hospital we did our clinicals in.  & w/ increasing the risk of ascending infection, discomfort for the woman, the need to validate what the woman's body is telling her, etc... it just seemed really unnecessary.

Anyway, it's early days, so if this question won't work, we have plenty of time to do something else.

Jen

Yahoo! Mobile