Dear ANJ Editor

I am writing to say that I am more than disappointed with  the ANJ (March 2003) uncritically reporting on a research project which gives legitimacy to the idea that we should be working towards increasing the number of very young infants who sleep through the night.
Rather ANF as an organisation including maternal and child health professionals should have refuted this research which shows a basic lack of understanding of the physiological needs of infants as well as being counter productive to the promotion, support and encouragement of effective or demand breastfeeding and the related physiology and life time health benefits.

The ANF should be setting an example for its members and fellow health professional organisations in refuting such poorly structured "research".
It is time that ANF reviewed all their publications and activities to ensure that they be consistent and maintain the organisation's espousal support for evidence based programmess such as the Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative in this instance!

Yourssincerely
Denise Hynd
RM, RN, BApSc(Nsg Ed).