Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2003 9:35 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Antenatal Care

On 26/3/03 7:15 PM, "Darren Sunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

What is the legislation regarding antenatal care in states throughout Australia?

Who has the legal right to give care and what are the necessary qualifications?

Can a GP or a registered nurse give antenatal care?

Assuming that all registered midwives and Obstetricitians are able.

Thanks ,

Darren

Hi Darren

Under the Nurses Acts in all states and Territories only those RNs who have authorisation to practise midwifery are able to provide antenatal care. Registered Medical Practitioners are able to provide this service.

Midwifery or medical students can provide antenatal care under supervision of an RN who has an Authority to practise Midwifery or a Registered Medical Practitioner.

Hopefully all states will soon have their own Midwife Practitioner Acts which clearly defines the role of the future  graduates of BchMid programs who will be neither RNs or MDs.

Jan Robinson