Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 9:10 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Talk to year 10's

Went to speak to a group of year 10 girls (and one boy) today as part of their childcare unit.

Had only an hour in which to cover a variety of issues, but it was heartening to hear that these girls believed (without prompting) that the best person to look after a lady during pregnancy and birth was a midwife and not an OB, and that babies could be born as easily at home (and in water) than in a hospital.  They did believe that the best position to labour and birth was on your back, but after a bit of pelvis exploring, they concluded that upright was far better.

One girls said that women should pay more if they chose to have a section without medical need :-)

Felt much cheered by my visit.

Debbie