Great response Tania,
Well Done.
Christina.
-----Original Message-----
From: Tom, Tania and Sam Smallwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Friday, 4 April 2003 8:54
Subject: [ozmidwifery] re: article in the Advertiser

Here's my response....

I refer to 'Less travel, GP care for mums-to-be' (The Advertiser 3/4/03)

When will our government stop spending taxpayers money on plans which margianalise women and blatantly ignore world's best practice guidelines?  The World Health Organisation clearly states that the most appropriate and cost effective care-provider for the vast majority of pregnant women is a MIDWIFE.  Continuity of care is achieved when a woman has access to one care provider for antenatal care, during labour and for the birth of her child, and for the postnatal period.  Contracting GP's who have no intention of being involved in the labour and birth to provide antenatal care, under the guise of providing continuity of care is lucicrous.  More funding for community based one-to-one midwifery care, such as the Northern Women's Community Midwifery Program would be a more honest and woman-friendly gesture, and a step in the right direction for women who wish to be seen as individuals, not 'cases'.

Oh, and by the way, women give birth, pizza's are delivered!