It is amazing that not everyone tears apart under these conditions!!
----- Original Message -----
From: Robin Moon
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 2:47 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Episiotomy - when to cut?

oh, arent protocols cruel???? everything is wrong for her there, Jo. As Nikki says, pushing at her own pace  and in a position that allowed gravity to help all help.IN the position you describe, she's actually pushing uphill, with the coccyx being sat on which reduces available space and her body and lungs are all compressed.  I guess the protocols also dictated that she must start pushing from the minute 2nd stage begins? So she's dead exhausted when the head finally hits the peri? And has no energy to actually slow the head down during it's exit?

I have found that slowing the head down even just by a contraction or two helps enormously. It allows the surrounding tissues to accomodate this sudden insult. Let the head spend more time stretching the perineum, and let the head be just breathed out, rather than  pushed will go a long way to achieving a  gentle exit. If we're exercising we dont achieve maximum stretch the first time we try the splits. We get better with each little effort. In a compact way this is the same with the peri. If the women are told ( both during labour and very gently and encouragingly at the time) they understand that it will be beneficial to them afterwards and usually are very keen to help themselves. Heat applied to the peri and birthing in water also help this scenario.

The stranded beetle position you describe Jo, will be ingrained on you forever as you  learn first hand the horrible effects it has on women. I cant think of one good thing about it.

Robin