My understanding of the Hoop Trial was that there was no significant (statistical) difference in physical trauma between "hands on" and "hands off", but, that there was less pain (postpartum) experinced by women in the "hands on" group. While in the USA this was taken to support "hands on". However, since being here, I have been under the impression that the trial was interpreted the other way: to support "hands off".  Maybe not by all.

marilyn
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 5:28 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Re Episiotomy

I am confused by this discussion so hoping for some clarification! My understanding of the results of the HOOP trial was that it favoured the use of Hands On - a finding that the midwives in the UK were surprised by. I had read summaries that clearer pointed out an improvement in perineal outcomes with a hands on approach. Was there re-analysis carried out that found the opposite to be true? It sounds from this discussion that the HOOP trial is now being said to have favoured hands off. Can someone help?

Nikki Macfarlane
Childbirth International
www.childbirthinternational.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Distance training for the world's childbirth educators and doulas