From: jo hunter
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 6:04 AM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] question for a friend

Hi there,
A friend has asked me to post a question to the list. Please excuse my ignorance if this is a common phenomenon.
My friend has recently found out that she is pregnant after many years of trying and 18 months of seeing a naturopath to help her conceive.
From the date of her last period she is 8 weeks pregnant and she is diabetic. She had a bleed 3 weeks ago and feared she was miscarrying but after bed rest the bleeding stopped and all appeared to be fine. She had an ultrasound a few days ago which showed 2 sacs - 1 empty and 1 with fetus and by the size of the baby they have told her she is 5 weeks pregnant......which of course does not add up according to the date of her last period. Could she have been carrying twins and miscarried one and the live baby just be small for dates? The second sac is attached to the first empty sac which is attached to the wall of the uterus and they tell her they are worried that if the first sac comes away it may take the second one with it. She's understandably pretty worried - anyone had any experiences with this kind of thing?
Thanks in advance.
Jo Hunter

Homebirth mum to 4