-----Original Message-----
From: Kristy Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 10:07 PM
Subject: Pethidine in labour and breastfeeding

Hi everyone,
The other day I cared for a mother and her baby who were day 2, and the baby was sleepy at the breast and mucousy. The mother had had a long & difficult labour, in which she required pethidine, followed by an epidural and then proceeded to have a forceps delivery. She was concerned about her baby and queried whether the pethidine/epidural that she had in labour caused any effect on her baby's behaviour and breastfeeding. Being a student midwife and only just commencing our lactation subject, I at least knew that pethidine could make some babies sleepy for a couple of days and not attach well to the breast, but was unsure how to respond to her quieries and offer support. Also, what other techniques could be used to help this baby feed from the breast?
Kristy