Jan,

This brought tears to my eyes. How dare this woman & her partner (& baby) be treated this way.

Tina H.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, October 11, 2003 7:46 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] who is really there for women ? long

THEY ARE A HEALTHY HAPPY, WELL PREPARED AND CONFIDENT COUPLE BOOKED INTO BIRTH CENTRE AN TAKING MW ALONG

1ST BABE TERM PLUS 5 DAYS srom SMIDGEN OF MEC  CTG PERFECT 2hrs later and she is in good labour standing with monitor on working happily adjusted well with transfer and then-------- the grand pooh barr arrives
minimal intro of self no intro of others [4 others in total] up on bed umm get the portable U/S and see what the PP part is.
Oh its head first she says he glares at her they rush to his command TO GET THE U/S MACHINE

I introduce myself he nods I ask if he knows I am an independent midwife he tells me he knows EVERY THING ignores me and turns to woman glumly he says

I am sorry u have meconium do u know what that means?

yes she said that is why I am here the baby has done a pooh and thetas probably normal but I will need to adjust my birthing plans to include the monitor

meconium is serious HE SAYS yesterday a baby died because of meconium all nod

the young dad to be bravely said but our baby looks great on monitor

nothing to do with it this baby was on monitor and by the time we got to theatre it was dead sigh meconium

we could do a c/Ds now and hope for best

she looked defeated he cried in fear
and

 they all stood behind him looking grave and  nodding and I thought wow is this for real?

This is why one to one midwifery care from a known midwife must happen to stop this abuse
Jan