Hi Nicole,
Great to see you the other day - even though brief.
About the hospital run homebirth service, I think that alot of the comments
that are seen as negative are a reflection of the lack of faith consumers as
well as midwives have in the hospital system. I think we all agree that Pat
and Nicky are wonderful women centred midwives with alot of experience. The
'negative' comments, although may appear to be directed at them, actually
are not, they are directed at the 'system'.
We have a hospital system in this country that can't even serve the women
who want to use them, with the majority of women (unless really strong and
educated and well supported) suffering unnecessary intervention at the hands
of overzealous obstetricians. Midwives hands are tied because of the
hospital protocols under which they must operate or they fear losing their
jobs. This has been described by some midwives on this list as a reality.
I was ignorant to this for some time, having had homebirths myself and only
knowing what other women had told me of their experience and treatment in
the 'system'. Now as I support more and more women as their doula in
hospitals I am appalled at what goes on. It must be the most
incredibly frustrating job working as a hospital midwife and I applaud all
who soldier on regardless.
The reason a hospital run homebirth service concerns me is for the very
reason that it is hospital run. I don't doubt that the midwives operating
and working in the service all have the very best intentions and all
advocate women centred care, however I have to question whether, to some
extent their hands will also be tied with the fear of losing their jobs
should a situation arise that an Independent midwife may see as within the
normal realm but the protocols and guidelines of the hospital system see as
abnormal. There are many many
'situations' during labour and birth where this is evident (even down to how
often a midwife should
listen to a baby's heart during labour, whether this is necessary after
every contraction so the midwife has an idea of how the baby is coping or
whether it is yet another unnecessary intervention the women is subjected to
that may
interrupt the rhythm of her labour)
Of course we are all striving to achieve the same goal, real choices for
women, publicly funded homebirth and one to one midwifery care. It is
imperative that we get it right the first time round (for NSW) as this is
most likely our only chance.
So pleased you've joined the list Nicole - will catch you soon.
Jo Hunter