I'm trying to get the message about this but am a bit in the dark - babies not allowed to be with their mothers because of other women having gynae surgery?  A woman's baby and this unrepeatable time - the first hours after - birth - has nothing to do with other women, but EVERYTHING to do with the woman having the baby.
----- Original Message -----
To: list
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003 10:41 AM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] babies in recovery/FH monitoring

Cas wrote:"it is normal practice to have bub in recovery so long as both mother and baby are well."

Unfortunately this is not so here in Perth.  We have had major battles over many years to have well babies stay with their mothers in recovery at KEMH  but this has been denied for many reasons, mostly because" the C/S women share the recovery room with other women who had gynae surgery" etc.  it is also surprising that so many baies who are "rescued" from foetal distess have apgars over 7 and need no further treatment.  Is this a misreading of the FH monitor?  a panic reaction to a EFM trace?

Denise, the trials that showed "intermittant monitoring " equal to/better than continuous was using the intensive monitoring regime that Lesley spoke about.  Not the more relaxed one.  Cheers, MM