Exactly what i learned too. The reason for the prophylactic anti-D is to prevent those 10% which is quite a significant number. My mother was also neg, dad pos, I am pos (also much prior to antiD)and mum had had several miscarriages, and since I was not compromised I am part of the lucky 90%. I did have childhood friends whose parents were the same  except that all except the first born had to be transfused at birth as they were born "blue". Prophylactic medicine always runs the risk of being thought unnecessary especially when most of the time it wont be needed. So long as those who choose not to use it fully understand the risks (in both directions) it's fine with me. In this case since the antiD was perhaps overlooked/mistakenly not given then perhaps at least the odds are in the mums favour.

marilyn
----- Original Message -----
From: mh
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 3:25 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] rhesus neg mother

Hi all,
When I learned about rh isoimmunisation etc many years ago I asked about this because my mother is neg, father is pos and all 6 of us are pos, born prior to anti-D (my mother had it after the last child!) with no difficulty, not even physiological jaundice.

 IIRC the incidence of isoimmunisation was only 10% of neg mothers with pos infants but the consequences are so horrific as anyone who's seen a hydropic baby will know, when anti-D was available it was welcomed with open arms.
I have no references for this, only mu possibly faulty memory.

Monica