Good Morning All
I hear what you are saying Julie - but have to add my two cents worth! Don't
you just love Ozmid, so we can do this? As Tina has said, women's bodies
prepare for birth. Each woman's body undergoes amazing physiological changes
only at this time in her lives - ie throughout pregnancy) to let her baby
out.
I understand that the majority of women have a huge fear of their vaginas
opening up enough to let their babies out, and even if they do open, will
their perineums tear?

Many women I have spoken to in antenatal education sessions, have no
awareness of the changes that are going on insde their bodies which will
enable them to give birth - they imagine that the baby is going to go
through the vagina they've always known (the size of throughout their whole
lives) - not as it is now - stretchy and full of 'give'. This links in
strongly with the sexual aspect of women and men's lives and men have also
told me they were not aware that the vagina changed throughout the pregnancy
in readiness for the birth. When we discuss how it changes back - and what
the vagina looks like immediately after birth, it is amazing how many women
and men imagine it to look like an empty cardigan sleeve! At reunions after
the births, couples comment on how glad they were to see it just close right
up again after the baby is out.

Again, just my thought - the Epi- no seems to me to fit well with the
"prophylactic" epidural, syntocinon, (some) elective caesareans, in that not
only is it is being touted for use to prevent something that might not
happen, but, and perhaps most significantly, it gives to women the message
that their bodies are unable to do this without some sort of mechanical
(technological) aid, entirely reinforcing the culture of pathology and
ineptness of women in birth.

It also does not help that there is so much focus on caesarean births as a
prevention for genito-urinary trauma, and the way in which caesareans have
been sold using that tack. There are also birthing 'practices' which do not
help perineal 'integrity' for want of a better word.
Regards, Lynne